Superb Villa in Terni Calvi dell Umbria Italy
Superb Villa in Terni Calvi dell'Umbria Italy
Euroresales Property ID – 9824400
Calvi dell'Umbria, the ancient Carbium, is also called "the happy door of Umbria". Lying on a rocky outcrop among verdant hills sloping towards the Tiber, close to Mount San Pancrazio, it rises to 410 meters above sea level surrounded by vines and olive trees.
Only 9 km away from Otricoli, it is an ancient land, rich in history, art and traditions. Already inhabited in the Bronze Age, the top of Mount San Pancrazio preserves the remains of a sixth century cult centre. The town itself has Roman origins, demonstrated by the discovery of a funerary altar, coins and more.
In the century XI Calvi became property of the Abbey of Farfa, and it was the uninterrupted domain of the Orsini as vicars of the Pope, dominion that ends only in 1572. Continue and often violent and bloody were the struggles with the nearby castle of Poggio for issues concerning the boundaries, so much so that to put peace between the contenders Callistus III had to appoint one of his commissioners. In 1798 the Franciscan troops looted the country. Under Leo XII (1823-1829) came the passage from the jurisdiction of Sabina to that of the Diocese of Narni. This is due today to its membership in the Umbria region. Going up to the main square, you pass through typical and picturesque medieval streets, among ancient houses, towers, arches and vaults.
Once in the square, you find yourself in front of the elegant Church of Santa Brigida, in front of the large monumental complex of the Ursuline Monastery, built in 1744 together with the adjoining Church of San Antonio. In this last one finds a very precious Polychrome terracotta Nativity set consisting of thirty figures, some in natural size, datable to the first half of the sixteenth century. According to tradition, authors of the work would seem to be the brothers from Abruzzo Giovanni and Raffaele da Montireale.
Of notable historical and artistic interest are the octagonal church of the SS. Trinity, built in the first half of the fifteenth century, and the parish church of Santa Maria Assunta which preserves valuable paintings. Calvi dell'Umbria is also known as the country of cribs, and not just because of the crib in terracotta mentioned. In fact, many scenes of the nativity, recently realized in the form of murals by well-known Italian and foreign painters, embellish the walls of old houses today. As if this were not enough, during the Christmas season, the village hosts a famous living nativity scene. In May each year, religious ceremonies and historical re-enactments related to the feast of San Pancrazio, patron saint of the town and protector of communal liberties, have taken place since the middle Ages. On the day of Corpus Domini, a suggestive and colourful floral display is laid out on the streets and alleys of the old town centre.
Blue Angel's Villa, origins before 16th century and is an original stone-built farmhouse on 2 floors, who has been completely restored and has kept most of its original features, like wooden beams and old terracotta floor tiles. Now has 2 kitchens, 2 sitting rooms with open fire place, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, sauna, 2 terraces, garden and over 3 hectares (7500 acres) of tree park.
Additional features: olive grove, orchard, garden, pergola, BBQ, parking spaces, storage space, fireplaces, boiler, double pane massive wood windows, two fonts of natural water and a professional wood burning pizza oven.
- No. of Beds: 7
- No. of Reception Rooms: 3
- Floor Space (metres squared): Over 4000
- Furnished: Furnished
- Pool: Communal
- Garden: Private
- Covered area (metres squared): Over 250
- Parking: Street Parking, Off Street Parking, Garage
- No of Outbuildings: 1
- View: Mountain, Country
- Orientation: South-West
- Distance from Sea: 1.5 Hours +
- Distance from Airport: 1.5 Hours +
- Distance from Golf: Walking
- Distance from Main Attraction: Walking
About The Area:
Calvi dell'Umbria is a commune in the Province of Terni in the Italian region Umbria, located about 80 km south of Perugia and about 20 km southwest of Terni.
The area was inhabited in Roman times, but developed as an urban centre only in the High Middle Ages.
The distance between Calvi dell'umbria an the Airport Leonardo da Vinci Rome is 1 h 13 min(105,6 km).
The distance between Calvi dell'umbria an the Sea (Lido di Ostia) is 1 h 27 min(112,3 km).
Calvi was a fief of the Orsini and then of the Anguillara families. The main attractions are the church of Santa Maria, with an elegant Late Renaissance baptisal font, and the church of Sant'Antonio. In the neighbourhood is the remains of a convent erected by St. Francis in the early 13th century.
Contact Euro Resales Ltd for more information.
If you need to buy or sell property in Italy fast contact us today.